Archive for the 'General' Category

Missing bots in ioquake3 on Kubuntu 13.04 64bit

July 6th, 2013

Having trouble with bots missing/not working? I tried tons of things to get ioquake3 running on my Kubuntu 13.04 64bit desktop. Short of recompiling, I think I tried every suggestion and install file I could find. None worked.

I would get errors like the following mess:

^1Error: file match.c, line 11: file matchh” not found

^1Error: file bots/default_c.c, line 2: file charsh” not found
^3Warning: couldn’t find skill 1 in bots/default_c.c
^1Error: file bots/default_c.c, line 2: file charsh” not found
^1Error: file bots/default_c.c, line 2: file charsh” not found
^1Error: file bots/default_c.c, line 2: file charsh” not found
^3Warning: couldn’t load any skill from bots/default_c.c
^1Error: file bots/ranger_c.c, line 10: file charsh” not found
^3Warning: couldn’t find skill 1 in bots/ranger_c.c
^1Error: file bots/default_c.c, line 2: file charsh” not found
^1Error: file bots/ranger_c.c, line 10: file charsh” not found
^1Error: file bots/default_c.c, line 2: file charsh” not found
^3Warning: couldn’t load any skill from bots/ranger_c.c
^1Fatal: couldn’t load skill 2.000000 from bots/ranger_c.c
RE_Shutdown( 0 )

The fix I finally found was to rename a file inside pak0.pk3. Yes, just rename one file. Supposedly there is a typo in one of the source code files, it’s been years since anyone has touched those files. Unlikely that anyone will be fixing the source and re-releasing.

I’ll be assuming you already have ioQuake3 installed by using the engine installer and the data installer. I’ve only tested this with skirmishes.

Navigate to where your pak0.pk3 file is and open it with a zip program (I used Ark, but also tested with unzip and zip). Extract all the files into an empty directory.

Go into the botfiles directory. Here you will see a file named chars.h. Rename it to charsh”. Yes, simply remove the . and add a quote mark to the end.

Backup one directory, select all files and directories (16 folders 54 files in the root) (166 sub-folders and 3,357 total files) and zip them up. Name the zip file pak0.pk3 and put it in your /baseq3 directory.

That’s it. Run ./ioquake3.x86_64 and enjoy.

 

Here’s some commands to copy and paste that should help.

From inside your /baseq3 directory, do the following:

mv pak0.pk3 pak0.pk3.orig && unzip -d pak0 pak0.pk3.orig

cd pak0 && mv botfiles/chars.h botfiles/charsh\”

zip -r ../pak0.pk3 *

cd .. && rm -rf pak0/

The resulting file was 436MB.

md5sum 0d507969a0301b14395543a6d37923f9  pak0.pk3
sha1sum 351f5a630b10777adc04263fd2e6eaa43e7db4a0  pak0.pk3
sha256sum 473e919320e62ccb7ad52e61d84ddbd33be7513ac62927f4318a39b6567e15bb  pak0.pk3
sha512sum 47159dc63024a4c44c49edc3170884c833c814087a78152d36574f8be89dce2456dc1a7ac6e6704cf81db8e5ba9ff35898a6e4ebc871e422b1047d78288f808a  pak0.pk3

For reference, here’s a hash of the original pak0.pk3 file

sha1sum 9d588ea65e92944d3e23eeb6ec08f1dd666f4658  pak0.pk3.orig

Since pak0.pk3 is the only file that you need from an original game CD, it’s a file that cannot be legally redistributed. I won’t host it or share it with you, the instructions above are quite simple.

 

  • General
  • Comments Off on Missing bots in ioquake3 on Kubuntu 13.04 64bit